This Safety Center sponsored webinar provided an overview of the NCHRP funded Domestic Scan 14-03 that examined the factors and processes that can support the success of developing a strong safety culture in transportation safety agencies. (http://www.domesticscan.org/14-03-successful-approaches-for-the-development-of-an-organization-wide-safety-culture-in-transportation-agencies)
The course provided participants a basic understanding of:
- The definition and relevance of organization safety culture.
- The factors that help an organization be ready to change its culture.
- A process through which organization change can be supported.
- An example of key insights gained from this scan about principles and strategies to change organization safety culture.
The presenters were:
- Professor Nicholas Ward, Director, Center for Health and Safety Culture and Professor of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at Montana State University Bozeman
- Rudy Malfabon, Director, Nevada Department of Transportation
- Mike Tooley, Director, Montana Department of Transportation
- Mark Shelton, District Engineer, Missouri Department of Transportation