Three groups lead the guidance and management of the Safety Center: the team, the technical panel, and the stakeholder group.
Team members provide the day-to-day operations, administration and management of the Safety Center.
Our team members include:
The technical panel’s role is to lend their expertise to the creation and enhancement of the Safety Center. The technical panel is comprised of all areas of FHWA with a rural safety role.
The technical panel is comprised of representatives from:
- FHWA Resource Center
- FHWA Office of Safety – Local and Rural Roads Safety Program
- FHWA Office of Safety – Research and Development
- FHWA Office of Safety – Communications Personnel
- FHWA Technology Partnership Program
- National Highway Institute
- FHWA Western Federal Lands
- MT FHWA Division Office
Members of the stakeholder group provide the Safety Center with real world, practitioner experience and insight at the state and local level. The stakeholders were selected with geographic diversity in mind, as well as a range of knowledge that complements the expertise already provided on our team and technical panel. The stakeholder group represents the 4E’s, local, state, LTAP and TTAP.
The stakeholder group representatives* include:
- State Engineer – Timothy Barnett, Retired from Alabama Department of Transportation
- State Engineer – John Miller, FHWA, previously Missouri Department of Transportation
- County Engineer – Joe Marek, Clackamas County (Oregon) Department of Transportation and Development
- Public Works/Local Representative – Christopher Strong, Gresham (Oregon) Transportation Division
- Planner – Amy Kessler, Pennsylvania Rural Planning Organization
- Planner – Jennifer Marandino, South Jersey Transportation Planning Organization
- Enforcement – Tim Lentz, Chief of Police in Covington, Louisiana
- Enforcement – Tony D’Agostino, Law Enforcement Liaison NYS Governor’s Traffic Safety Committee
- EMS – Teri Sanddal, Trauma and Emergency Response Infrastructure
- Public Health – Erin Sauber-Schatz and Amy Schumacher, Center for Disease Control
- Behavioral Safety – Gina Espinosa-Salcedo, NHTSA
- Behavioral Safety – Patrick Hoye, Iowa Governor’s Highway Safety Bureau
- Tribal – Adam Larsen, FHWA Office of Tribal Transportation
- Economic Development – Carrie Kissel, NADO Research Foundation
To read more about individual stakeholders, please view our Safety Career Pathway Spotlights.
Roles and responsibilities of the stakeholder group include:
- Advising the Safety Center on on-going efforts of interest,
- Participating in work sessions,
- Discussing rural, local, and tribal cutting-edge and emerging issues, and
- Identifying gaps.
*David Brand (Madison County, OH), Byron Bluehorse (previously Alaska TTAP), Karla Sisco (previously Oklahoma TTAP), David Sleet (previously CDC), and Marie Walsh (previously LA LTAP) were founding members of the Safety Center’s Stakeholder Group.