As bicycle travel continues to grow in popularity across the country, more communities are working to attract bicycle tourists to spend money in their area. These economic benefits of bicycle tourism can be particularly impactful for rural communities. Designating Scenic Bikeways: A Framework for Rural Road Owners presents a toolkit to assist land management agencies, road owners, and proponent groups to work together to develop bikeways. The purpose of the toolkit is to:
• Encourage road owners to be more involved in bikeway designation processes.
• Discuss factors that may be considered in road owners’ decisions on bikeway designation.
• Address common concerns related to bikeway designation, including safety, liability, funding, and maintenance, and provide resources on these issues.
• Provide analysis of the Oregon Scenic Bikeway process as a model for state bikeway designation.
• Improve communications and understanding between bicycle proponent groups and road owners.
• Provide a conceptual framework for the development of new bikeway designation programs.