The National Center for Rural Road Safety (Safety Center), National Association of County Engineers (NACE) and the National Safety Council’s Road to Zero Coalition co-hosted a FREE, 1.5-hour online webinar.
This webinar provided an overview of the activities and findings of the Road to Zero Grant: Advancing Local Road Safety Practices with State DOTs. This included the results of the data collection and analysis phase, overview of the five States selected and stakeholder meetings conducted, best practices promoted and identified in the stakeholder meetings, and findings and recommendations of the study.
At the conclusion of this webinar, participants were able to:
- Identify the percentage of fatalities on the local road system nationally, as well as discover sources for individual States.
- Differentiate the local versus state component of rural road fatalities nationally.
- Compare the percentage of local fatalities versus percentage of federal safety funds allocated to local roads.
- Identify the States with the highest local road fatalities.
- Identify best practices States have used in working with their local partners.
- Summarize the findings and recommendations of the grant.
This training was directed towards a very broad safety audience including, but not limited to, law enforcement, planners, engineers, first responders, elected officials, public health, tourism agencies, and safety culture experts.
Brian Roberts, PE, BCR Consulting
Brian is a committed advocate for local road safety. He is currently an independent consultant with expertise in transportation, highway safety and water resources. Most recently he was the Executive Director of the National Association of County Engineers. Prior to that he was Director of the Water Resources Learning Center where he taught more than 400 workshops worldwide. He was also the Executive Director of a national trade association, an employ of FHWA and he began his career with Fairfax County Public Works in VA. He has a BS and MS from VA Tech in Civil Engineering and is a licensed professional engineer in VA.