As a rural safety advocate, the Rural Safety Center uses its voice to raise national awareness of rural safety, share and disseminate critical information, and build coalitions of changemakers. To further our impact, we are proud to announce the inaugural Rural Road Safety Awareness Week (RRSAW) to be held on September 28-October 2, 2020.
The purpose of RRSAW will be to promote rural road safety to the public, community leaders, and potential partners by telling the “rural story.” We plan to shine a light on the unique safety risks faced by rural road users, progress towards addressing these challenges, and solutions that are making a difference on the Rural Road to Zero fatalities and serious injuries.
The “rural story” will be told through daily themes including:
- Monday: Defining Rural
- Tuesday: Rural Safety Champions
- Wednesday: Rural Road Modes
- Thursday: Proven Rural Safety Countermeasures
- Friday: Rural Safety Culture
How to Get Involved
We hope you will join this effort and help us get the word out to your organization and networks. RRSAW is intended to be a social media driven campaign, so high levels of social media interaction will be the key to success for RRSAW. We encourage you to use your own social media platforms to extend the reach of RRSAW’s stories and messages:
- First, please friend us on Facebook (@ruralroadsafety) and follow us on LinkedIn (@national-center-for-rural-road-safety) if you don’t already, so you will see our daily posts during the week of RRSAW.
- Next, please share or repost our messages (or create original ones that highlight your own agency). We will be posting using hashtags #RuralRoadSafety and #RRSAW2020 and encourage you to use the same ones. (Consistent hashtags make it easier to find and track all of the activity that takes place.)
- Interested in sharing your own posts? We’ve made it easy for you by putting together multiple post options per daily theme! Just choose the post(s) per day that best matches your rural area, download the corresponding high resolution graphic, and add them to your agency’s social media feed. Don’t forget to use #RuralRoadSafety and #RRSAW2020! The post options and graphics can be downloaded below: